3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Multi-Material Composite Adhesives
Finding the right science to match your application is key. 3M is here to help, bringing over 60 years of proven adhesive science leadership to composite bonding applications, and offering the expertise to apply them to the right materials for an unmatched bond quality. From the rugged strength of the first composite golf club to applying a powerful hold to aeroplane wings, 3M has brought the industry new solutions, making adhesive science what it is today, with progressive products formulated to solve the manufacturing challenges of the future.
Designing with composites and multiple materials allows you to use thinner, lighter substrates to create products with improved flexibility and higher resistance to vibration and movement. Joining these parts within your assembly requires new methods of bonding beyond mechanical fasteners and welding, and recent advances in structural adhesives (such as epoxies, acrylics and urethanes) are enabling designers to create products that meet structural integrity requirements.
Structural adhesives are simply one of the most versatile and reliable solutions for joining composites and multi-materials. They offer application ease and convenience, and with faster throughput, adhesives can also help you meet higher production standards.
Adhesive performance advantages:
- High performance strength, plus impact and energy absorption
- Maximum durability by distributing stress across the entire bonded area
- Excellent weather and chemical resistance
- Prevention of galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals
- Bond Low Surface Energy (LSE) plastics, such as thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO), polypropylene (PP), and polyethylene (e.g. HDPE)
- Bond high performance composites, from carbon fibre to polyester sheet molding compound (SMC)
- Fast cure times for process improvement
- Many adhesive options with little to no surface preparation
- Manage thermal expansion and temperature resistance